Saturday, February 18, 2012


As soon as my first child was born, I held them in my arms and experienced such incredible love for them.
They were my child, a part of me, created in love. I knew that no matter what, I would ALWAYS love them. That I would give my life for them, in a heartbeat.
So as a Father, I gained real insight into a Father's love for their child and the unconditional love that the child is held in.

I believe that through this experience, it revealed a little of the depth of love that I'm held in by God. That here I was, given the incredible privilege of creating life. Experiencing a part of me, becoming life itself. Just as I believe happens with our Father, God.
Until I experienced becoming a Father, I did not understand this.
It's my heart's desire to always be close to my child. I would always want them to be in my life. To let absolutely nothing stand in the way of this.
I believe this reveals the reality with God too, that this would be his desire too.
I cannot express in words the depth of love and care that I have for my children, no words could do it justice. To me, no words would do the love and care of God, justice either.

Sometimes my daughter will say to me, “you love me Daddy, even when I've not been good eh?”
I tell her that I ALWAYS love her, this never changes, no matter what she might do. I will say that I might not like what she does, but this could never, ever, have any affect on the love I hold her in. I think at times her little mind can struggle to get around this idea, as mine certainly did when I was growing up, especially.

I tell her that although at times she might think I won't love her if she's been naughty, that I still do! That no matter what she might think, what her little mind might tell her, it has no bearing on my love for her.

When I was growing up, I shouldn't say “growing up,” as this suggest past tense and that I've done all the growing I'll ever do, when in reality I believe (and hope) I'm growing in understanding everyday. Anyway, when I was younger, I believed love had to be earned, that if I was good that maybe God would love me. I was always trying to earn love. Love can never be earned, if love's not given freely then it's not love. This is my experience and have so far never been convinced otherwise.

It's my heart that reveals this. My heart that shows me through experience the reality of love and the true nature of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment